Holy hell, where did October go? Sure, most of it was spent on vacation, but this month really flew by for me – I can’t believe it’s November already! Welcome to Scorpio Season, folks. I’m turning 30 on November 6, and lots of my friends are also November babies so there’s lots to celebrate this month!
A favorite focus of my blog is my monthly favorites – taking a look at the items I reached for a lot during the month. Sometimes favorites sneak in repeatedly, and sometimes I have new favorites. This month I had a few new faves, and I’m excited to talk about them today! Let’s go from left to right in the photo above.
- Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Beauty Balm Skin Protector: Okay, as you may already know, I’m a big fan of Asian BB creams. They give me the coverage I need while still looking natural and having great sun protection. I’d heard great things about this BB cream, so I picked it up a few months ago. This has very sheer coverage compared to more traditional BB creams, but I like it. It evens out my skintone and keeps me looking fresh or awake. It looks great alone or with powder over it. I’ve noticed a huge change in skin texture for the better throughout the last 2 months of Curology (disclaimer: referral link) so I’ve felt the need for less coverage in my base. Good stuff all around.
- Milk Makeup Lip + Cheek in Perk: I got this as my sample choice for my very last Birchbox. They actually sent the wrong sample but made it right and sent me one of these. I find myself loving Milk as a brand more and more, even though I want to hate them because their vibe is not usually what I go for. Perk is a beautiful peachy color with a bit of gold glow. Just a couple dabs of this stuff and I’m looking beautifully flushed. It’s not sticky or tacky like other cheek stains (looking at you, tarte) and it doesn’t dry my skin out, so it’s a thumbs up in my book. Love the multitasking aspect of this stuff, too.
- ColourPop SuperShock Eyeshadow in Alchemy: Okay, I’m being a total jerk, including a discontinued item in my monthly favorites, but I just can’t NOT talk abou this stuff. Alchemy is a “glitter sheer” finish, and it’s really cool stuff. So it is a sheer shadow, but it’s got this beautiful multicolored microglitter in it. It looks fantastic sheered out on the lid, or as a topper on other shadows. It’s got a nude base and looks really natural and beautiful on me, despite being a glitter shadow. I love ColourPop’s SuperShock formulation, it’s creamy and pigmented and I can just smear this on with my fingers when I’m pressed for time.
- Missha Misa Geum Sul Rejuvenating Essence: Okay, this one was completely unexpected for me. I had ordered a 10-pack of samples of this stuff from either RoseRoseShop or TesterKorea. I brought them with me on vacation, not expecting much. But I was totally blown away by this stuff! It’s packed with traditional Asian medicinal herbs, like wild ginseng, ginseng water, deer antler, and reishi mushroom. The kicker? It’s got pure gold in it. The shit literally has gold flakes in it. I discovered the gold flakes by accident when putting them on one day. I was like, “wtf is in this?!” Doing more research showed that yes, it IS gold. Anyway, this essence leaves my face so moisturized and bouncy and plump feeling. It’s got some brightening and wrinkle-repairing benefits too, so I’m all about that. This stuff is pretty expensive at $40 for this little bottle. I found a fantastic deal on eBay so I purchased it straightaway. I will definitely repurchase, this stuff has my skin feeling great.
- Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes mascara: Okay, me including this in my Monthly Favorites makes me laugh. I HATE Great Lash mascara. Hate it. I historically have scoffed at the fact that it’s on any sort of “best” lists because I think it’s literally the most mediocre mascara known to man. While going through my stash one day, I saw this familiar pink and green tube and thought, “have I gone mad?” But hear me out. This stuff is different than original Great Lash. It has this amazing, sort of spade-shaped brush that grabs every lash and allows me to get into all of the tighter spots. The formula is fantastic, it holds a curl and just makes my lashes look AMAZING. I am eating my words, and never again will I scoff so heartily at some Great Lash mascara.
- CosRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence: You guys. YOU GUYS. This stuff. I’ve heard great things about it and I purchased it awhile back when RoseRoseShop was having a sale on CosRX items. It’s 96% snail mucin. Snail mucin has fantastic restorative and repairing properties, and is good for bug bites, acne, rashes, redness, you name it. I use this every night and day and it takes the redness right out of my face. I love it so much, I’m going to repurchase this over and over. It’s not slimy or gross, but just keeps the skin feeling nice and moisturized and not tight or dry feeling. I can’t get enough of it!
- Wet n Wild Photofocus Setting Spray: I picked this up on a whim as I’ve been meaning to try a setting spray. I tried the Urban Decay ones YEARS ago and didn’t love them. I’ve been loving this one, mainly because it’s not overdrying or too mattifying. I prefer a natural look, and I’m okay with dewy, even. My dry skin looks better that way. A few spritzes of this over makeup and it gives a fantastic natural finish while keeping my makeup in place. I’m about half finished with this one. Not sure if I’ll repurchase as there are lots of other setting sprays for me to try, but I’m really satisfied with this one.
Well, there you have it, my favorites for the month of October! What will I reach for in November? I’m foreseeing lots of darker lipstick and maybe even trying to zero in on a new foundation that I love. The possibilities are endless.
What were your October favorites? What did you reach for most in the last month or so?