Hi everyone! Part of my blog at Beauty Out Loud included my monthly favorites. It’s been a really long time since I made time to do one of these posts. But with a fresh start on a new blog, why not? My monthly favorites are products I found myself reaching for a lot throughout the month. Here’s what I loved during the month of August. As you can see, I’ve really gotten into skincare, so a lot of my favorites are skincare goodies!
Starting from top left:
- Benefit It’s Potent! eye cream: This is a tiny sample size, but I absolutely love the packaging. This eye cream touts brightening capabilities to hide dark circles. It has a peptide complex to help restore elasticity and firmness. I have noticed a brightening effect from this. I’m not sure yet if I’ll purchase the full size after I use up this sample, but so far I’m really liking the product.
- Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream SPF42/PA+++ in No. 23 Natural Beige: This is my first foray into true Korean BB creams and I am now a total convert. Korean BB creams are so great because they actually have features and benefits outside being a cosmetic. M Perfect Cover BB cream has whitening (brightening) properties, as well as wrinkle care and UVA/UVB protection. It’s also got hyaluronic acid and ceramides to keep the skin’s moisture barrier in balance. It’s got fantastic coverage, but is lightweight and feels more like a lotion. This blends well and also builds well, though you need a TINY bit to cover your whole face. Truly a miracle worker for me. It’s got a natural dewy finish to it.
- Missha All Around Safe Block Essence Sun SPF 45/PA+++: So, one of the most important lessons I’ve learned in my new skincare studies, and especially in Korean/Asian skincare, is that sunscreen is absolutely critical. Wear it every day, no matter what. Even if you’re sitting in your (heavily-windowed) office. Just make it a habit. It helps keept the skin in tip top shape and prevents wrinkles and dark spots and premature aging. This sunscreen is water and sweat resistant, with great UVA/UVB protection, AND it’s super moisturizing and pretty cosmetically elegant. It’s not comedogenic for me – I don’t break out from it AT ALL, which was my previous excuse for not wearing sunscreen. They always broke me out! This stuff looks great by itself or under makeup. It keeps my dry skin looking and feeling really moisturized. It’s pretty much holy grail status for me, I’ve just purchased two more bottles of it.
- CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser: This came under heavy recommendation from the Skincare Addiction subreddit. This is an interesting cleanser; it doesn’t foam/suds up at all. It’s more of a cleansing lotion. It leaves my skin without that dry, tight feeling I sometimes get after cleansing. This has ceramides and hyaluronic acid in it to keep the moisture barrier in good balance (Are you sensing a pattern here? I’m all about dat moisture barrier). This is just a travel size. I have a full-size of the foaming cleanser on its way to me now, so I’ll be trying that in September to compare the two.
- Maybelline Fit Me! Set & Smooth Powder in 120 Classic Ivory: I picked this up on a whim last month at the drugstore when looking for a good setting powder since summer usually makes my makeup melt off. I really enjoy my Fit Me! foundation, and the powder impressed me as well. This is fantastic lightly dusted over the face, or even used for “baking” – allowing powder to sit on the face to really set concealer and give you that bright highlighted look. It’s a very light powder, and it’s ever so slightly light reflecting, not glittery, but definitely a natural/dewy finish.
- Benefit Hoola bronzer: Another mini size – I prefer smaller sizes when trying something new – they usually still have a ton of product and with as much makeup as I have, I’ve been gravitating toward smaller sizes lately. This bronzer is a cult-classic and I’m not sure why or how I avoided it this long. I love that this bronzer is matte. It doesn’t leave me looking shiny or like I dipped my face into a bucket of glitter (even though that seems to be on trend lately). I’ve never been a bronzer girl, but since I wear such an effective sunscreen I’ve been looking pretty pale this summer. This warms up my skintone and looks really natural. If I use it as a contour, it brings just the right amount of warmth and dimension to my face. Love this stuff so far. I saw my sister using it and decided to try it as it looks gorgeous on her (pregnant, already gorgeous) skin.
- Etude House Manuka Honey sheet mask: One of the cheapest ways to get into Korean/Asian skincare is sheet masking. I use these every other night to keep my skin looking and feeling hydrated and refreshed. My favorite mask in August was this Etude House Manuka Honey mask. Honey is a natural humectant, drawing moisture from the air and into skin. These 0.2mm sheet masks are light “like air” but absolutely soaked with the essence, so they’re really refreshing and ultra hydrating. This particular mask essence also contains adenosine, which is great for wrinkle repair. These masks are so cheap but so fantastic – I like to keep them in the fridge for a cool, refreshing way to pamper myself at the end of the day.
- Hada Labo Gokujyun Lotion: This has been hailed on the Asian Beauty subreddit as a total holy grail item, so I purchased it from a fellow Columbus AB’er to see what it was like. This is called a lotion, but is like a really moisturizing toner/serum. I use it after cleaning – just a tiny bit in my palms, pat it into my face – and it does amazing things. It’s got a lot of hyaluronic acid in it to keep skin hydrated. It plumps up my skin before the other steps in my routine, and especially before sheet masks. Love this, will repurchase over and over.
So there you have it! My favorite stuff from August 2016. Focusing on skincare has brought a new focus on self-care into my life. It’s a fantastic morning and evening ritual that centers me and I’ve been seeing fantastic benefits so far. My skin has improved so much in the last couple months that I’ve been using a more Asian skincare routine. I barely get any blemishes anymore, and my redness has diminished greatly. I definitely want to showcase this routine of mine, so I’ll be posting some info about my routine and where I get products soon.
What were your favorite products in the last month?